If you have developed red welts and itchiness when you started wearing your wedding ring, you are not alone. No, it is not a reaction to being married that is causing you to have an allergic reaction. In reality, you are probably the victim of a common condition that is related to the nickel in your ring.

What Is Wedding-Ring Dermatitis?

Wedding-ring dermatitis is an allergic reaction to the nickel that is commonly found in rings. Even the most expensive rings sometimes contain small amounts of nickel. If you have an allergy to nickel, the constant exposure to it through your ring can result with the smallest amount. 

In some cases, the condition results from the soap and moisture that can be trapped under your ring when you wash your hands. Whatever the cause, it can leave you with not only itchiness and red welts, but it can leave you with a rash that can spread.

The condition is not exclusive to newlyweds. It is not uncommon for people who have been married for years to develop it.  

How Is Wedding-Ring Dermatitis Treated?

Fortunately, wedding-ring dermatitis is a condition that is considered to be easily treatable. If the condition is the result of soap and moisture, remove your ring when you are washing your hands. Ensure that all the soap is removed and your hands are completely dry before replacing the ring. 

Avoid putting hand sanitizer on your ring finger. It can add to the irritation you feel from wearing the ring. You also need to clean the ring on a regular basis. Jewelry cleaning solutions can be carefully applied and removed to ensure that all of the soap is cleansed from the ring. 

If the problem is an allergic reaction to the nickel in your ring, the solution could be as simply as applying a protective barrier to your finger before putting on the ring. Hypoallergenic lotions are best. 

Another possible solution is to put a layer of clear nail polish on the inside of the ring. The polish will serve as a barrier between you and the ring. A jeweler can also seal the ring with a protective coating. You might have to have the coating reapplied in the future. 

If you continue to have problems while wearing your wedding ring, talk to your dermatologist. He or she can test you for allergies to other metals and also provide medication, if needed. Click here to learn more about dermatology services in your area.